The old saying “there’s beauty everywhere, all you have to do is just look around” is true to the core when it comes to the mesmerizing Leh Ladakh travel. The ideal time for Leh Ladakh trip is from June to September. During the winters, most roads remain closed.
Here’s a complete list of things you should look into, before starting with the trip.
- You’ll be traveling through the toughest of roads, you can’t afford to compromise on the quality of the bike so choose one wisely. Pay close attention to the features of the bike and make sure it’s in a good condition.
- Before heading to Ladakh Bike Trip, make sure you have checked the temperature and weather of the location. The place is hot during the day and freezing chilly during the night. The temperature nature shifts drastically, so to have an experience of your life, make sure you carry warm clothes and don’t freeze. Dress in layers so that you can easily remove clothes in case you want to.
- Keep the First-Aid kit handy, like we say safety always comes first which should include Band-Aids, Antiseptic, Crocin for fever and body pain and Avomine for sickness.
- Be confident about your ride, and your style of riding. Don’t try anything fancy or extraordinary for the trip. Just know your strengths and weakness about driving. If people tell you that you are drive fast in curves, make a note. Do not overspeed in the mountains. You wont enjoy the journey if you speed. Its meant to cruise. Go at your own pace.
- Although there are two different routes to Leh, one through Manali and another through Srinagar and even though the former is preferred because of the dangerous terrains, it’s advisable to take the latter route which passes through Rohtang La, Sarchi, and Upshi. Remember to decide the route according to your capabilities and comfort.
- You should never rely on street vendors for food essentials while traveling, there can be times that there will be nothing on the way to provide you with food, so you should essentially keep extra food supplies like chips, biscuits, glucose and other small food items.
- Keep these food supplies in an easily accessible pocket on your backpack as these items should be easily accessible when hungry. We recommend – Carry a couple of chocolate bars, small packet of chips, easy to make noodles or oats and maybe protein chocolate bars as well for energy.
- It is essential for you to wear all the gears important for the riding, as the roads are barren and bumpy, while the wind is fierce, making it difficult for the rider to zoom past the environment without gears. Whether its knee-pads, helmet, or gloves, make sure you are properly dressed
- Please do exercise before you leave for the major motorbike tour. Since the oxygen level is less at a higher elevation, you must practice some breathing exercises. Also, cycling and swimming increase your stamina. Sitting on the motorbike for a long run reduces your mobility. Hence it is essential to pull your muscles beforehand.
- You’ve got to take intervals and halts to successfully complete your journey. You can’t afford to be in a rush and deteriorate your body’s capabilities to complete the journey.
- 10-20 Litres of extra petrol is what we recommend as it’s a pretty long journey and looking for petrol on the way is definitely not a wise option to go for. Petrol stations are pretty far from Ladakh so make sure your bike tanks are filled adequately to ensure a hassle-free journey.
- One advice you’ll always get before leaving for your trip is: Stay hydrated! If you want to avoid the hassle of looking for places to buy the water bottle from, then just keep a reusable one which you can also strap on your backpack. Lightweight, leak-proof, filtered water bottle would be a great option.
- A spare bike key, spare bungee cords, spare fuse, extra chain lock, spare clutch, and accelerator cable, chain lube, if tube tire then one spare tube, engine oil to top up and a spare headlight bulb.
- You can’t rely on your cards since there’re places where you might not find an ATM easily and cards might not be acceptable at all local shops and street vendors.
- Only post-paid mobile phone connections from other states work in Ladakh. Even from these only BSNL has a presence beyond Leh. Unless you are dependent on STD Booths, go for a BSNL/MTNL postpaid connection. It’s important to keep your family or a few friends updated about your location every 6-7 hours as it’s an unpredictable ride and difficult situations can prevail.
- Don’t forget to carry your original Driving license and PUC along with bike papers, valid insurance, and registration.
We have often heard that speed has been the fantasy of many individuals across the globe. But there are very few people who are able to frame it in the boundaries of real life experiences. The azure clear waters, serene picturesque lakes and a ruggedly handsome terrain are the constituents of this trip that lends an experience of one-of-its-kind. So, when you get this opportunity, do not restrict your adventure to the slumber of dreams, instead, get ready to recreate the real-life experience that gives you jitters even when the memories of this ride would become myopic.