As the month of September approaches, the monsoons are starting to recede giving way to the next season. It is at a time when the temperatures have gone down with summers almost gone. The rains have reduced compared to July and August and the winters have not arrived yet. September is perfect to travel as it is just before the peak season, which means lesser prices and less crowded places and also lesser temperatures and fewer rains.
Kalimpong, West Bengal
Situated at an altitude of 1300 metres on the eastern part of Darjeeling Himalayas, the Kalimpong district was formed on 14 February 2017, after splitting from the Darjeeling district as the 21st district of West Bengal. It consists of the Kalimpong Municipality with 23 wards and three community development blocks: Kalimpong I, Kalimpong II and Gorubathan consisting of 42 gram panchayats. Kalimpong is an east Indian hill town in the Himalayan foothills of West Bengal. Perched on a ridge above the Teesta River, it’s home to colonial-era buildings like MacFarlane Memorial Church, named after a Scottish missionary. South, the hilltop Durpin Monastery, or Zang Dhok Palri Phodang, contains sacred Buddhist scriptures. Deolo Park has landscaped gardens and offers views of the town and surrounding hills.
- Places to visit in Kalimpong: Lepcha Museum, Mac Farlen Church, Dr. Graham’s Home, Deolo Hill, Moran House, Durpin Monastery and Tsonga Gumba.
- Weather of Kalimpong: In September, the average maximum temperature is 27 degrees Celsius and the average minimum temperature is 18 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport (75 km)
- Nearest Train Station: New Jalpaiguri Junction (70 km)
- Weather: 2° C
- Best Time: June, July and September, October
Located around 245 km from Bangalore, Kabini is primarily known for its handful of luxury resorts around the Kabini River and Nagarhole National Park in the vicinity. It is a popular weekend getaway from Bangalore, Mysore and Mangalore. Kabini is a wildlife destination that is the largest place for Asiatic Elephants in the world. The Kabini Forest Reserve (which comprises the south-eastern part of Nagarhole National Park) is famous for its amazing wildlife and birdlife. Kabini is also home to the world’s most famous living black panther “Saya”. Even though it is not impossible to spot him, it is very rare. Boat Safari and Jeep Safari in the Kabini jungle is the ideal way to spot the tiger, leopard, guars, elephants and other majestic species. Kabini is also one of the best places in India to photograph leopards.
- Things to do in Kabini: Jungle safari, nature walk, boating on Kabini River, visit Kabini Dam
- Weather of Kabini: The temperature ranges from 20 degrees Celsius to 33 degrees Celsius
- How to reach Kabini
- Nearest Airport: Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru (270 km) and Coimbatore airport (220 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Mysore railway station (64 km)
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Comprised of densely wooded jungles, undulating hill slopes, meandering rivers, cascading waterfalls, and verdure valleys-Kodaikanal’s scenic beauty never fails to mesmerise travellers. Often referred to as the ‘Princess of Hills’, Kodaikanal is one of the most popular tourist destinations in South India. Situated at an elevation of 7000 feet above sea-level, along the crest of the Palani Hills, Kodaikanal leaves travellers spoilt for choice while it comes to the places to visit. The major valleys-the Parappar and Gundar surround Kodaikanal from both sides. Owing to its natural beauty, it is also a popular honeymoon destination in Tamil Nadu. From boating in lakes to taking a walk in the hills, to exploring caves and even offering prayers at religious spots-things to do in Kodaikanal are almost endless. One of the most prominent places to see in Kodaikanal is the Berijam Lake. Located at the end of the Pillar Rock Road, the calm and azure waters of the lake are highly welcoming and soothing to the eyes. Overlooking natural wilderness, a visit to the Berijam Lake is worth it. Another major place of interest in Kodaikanal is the main Kodai Lake.
- Places to visit in Kodaikanal: Coaker’s Walk, Kodaikanal Lake, Silver Cascade Falls, Bryant Park, Bear Shola Falls and Dolphin’s Nose.
- Things to do Kodaikanal: Visit Pillars Rocks, Marvel at Thalaiyar Falls, embrace the hippie vibe at Vattakanal village and take a trek to Guna Caves.
- Weather of Kodaikanal: The hill town has a moderate temperature all through the year. The average temperature in September is 21 degrees Celsius.
- How to reach Kodaikanal
- Nearest Airport: Madurai Airport (132 km)
- Nearest Train Station: Palani railway station (66 km)
Dooars, Northeast India
Nestling just below Darjeeling, at the Himalayan foothills, is a land shared by jumbos, rhinos, deciduous forests, gurgling streams and tea. The tea-growing areas in the district of Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, along with a small part of Coochbehar District, is popularly known as Dooars, which is bound by Bhutan and Darjeeling district in the northwest, Coochbehar district and Bangladesh in the south and Assam in the east. Dooars (which means doors in Bengali, Assamese and Nepali) is the gateway to the North East and Bhutan. Although tea cultivation in Dooars was primarily engineered by the British planters through their agency enterprises, there was significant contribution of Indian entrepreneurs who set up considerable number of new plantations with the issuance of grants of lands in a phased manner.
- Places to visit in Dooars: Teesta Barrage, Buxa Tiger Reserve & Fort, Bhutan Ghat and Phuntsholing
- Things to do in Dooars: Take jeep and elephant safaris at Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary, indulge in exciting river rafting at Teesta River and witness rich wildlife at Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary and Gorumara National Park
- Weather of Dooars: In September, the maximum temperature is recorded as 28 degrees Celsius while the minimum temperature reaches as low as 16 degrees Celsius
- How to Reach
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport (70 km)
- Nearest Train Station: New Jalpaiguri Junction (64 km)